Delaware State University founded

Date: 
Fri, 1891-05-15

Delaware State University was founded on this date in 1891.

The Morrill Act of 1890 established the State College for Colored Students, now known as Delaware State University. Five courses of study leading to a baccalaureate degree were offered: Agricultural, Chemical, Classical, Engineering, and Science. The college graduated its first class of degree candidates in May 1898. The normal course of study was extended to four years in 1911. In 1947, the name of the institution was changed to "Delaware State College" by legislative action.

Ten years later, the college was fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Since 1957, the university has grown in stature as a center for teaching, research, and public service. The purpose and object of the University have broadened in keeping with changing times. The Division of Undergraduate Studies, comprised of three undergraduate schools with a total of 22 academic departments, offers a wide variety of programs leading to the degree of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work, or Bachelor of Technology.

The Delaware State University School of Graduate Studies offers programs leading to the master's degree in biology, business administration, chemistry, education, physics, and social work.

Reference:
Black American Colleges and Universities:
Profiles of Two-Year, Four-Year, & Professional Schools
by Levirn Hill, Pub., Gale Group, 1994
ISBN: 0-02-864984-2