The Glass Hill School opens

Date: 
Wed, 1887-02-16

*The Registry celebrates the opening of the Glass Hill School on this date in 1887. This was one of many primary education schools for Blacks during Reconstruction.

Founded in Wicomico County, Maryland the school was originally identified simply as “ Col'd,” School, an abbreviation used for "Colored" School. The school was abandoned and was scheduled for demolition when Jim Jackson purchased and moved it to Pittsville, MD in 1900. After restoration it became a shop called Schoolhouse Collectibles. The present location is 7915 Maple Street Pittsville, MD.

Reference:
Glass Hill School

To Become a School Principal